Sunday, July 1, 2012

Patriotic Sweets

Since the 4th of July is coming up, I wanted to make some kind of patriotic treats for our youth Sunday school class. I wanted something non-messy that they could either eat in class or take home with them. I'd recently seen chocolate-dipped rice krispie treats covered in sprinkles online somewhere and thought they looked fun, so I made some on Saturday!

It seemed easier (and cheaper) to buy individual rice krispie treats rather than make them, so I picked up a few boxes of those along with melting chocolate and red, white and blue sprinkles. I already had cello bags and ribbon at home.

Dipping them turned out to be a bit harder than I thought! I wanted to leave the ends plain so they could stand up while the chocolate set. That way they'd have a nice coating with sprinkles on each side and would look pretty. But dipping them into warm chocolate made the marshmallow even softer and they'd start to bend or squish a little while I was holding the end. I got out a corn cob skewer and tried holding it with that instead. It worked a little better, but I had to work fast or the krispie treat would still start to bend or stretch apart.

Finally I had them all covered and sprinkled! To make it easy for the kids to take home, I placed each one in a little clear treat bag and tied it with a ribbon. I used red, white and blue ribbon to match the sprinkles  :)


 I love holiday-themed sweets! I've found some other fun ideas recently that I want to try. Ones like this are so easy to make but people think you spent a lot of time on them. Of course, I don't bother to tell them otherwise...a good cook never reveals secrets, right?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment