Thursday, July 26, 2012

Carseat Cover

Here's one of the baby items I've been working on. It needs one little finishing touch, but I can't do it until we unpack our carseat...which won't be for a few months.

It's a pattern I found on pinterest and I was very happy to have come across it. It can be a hassle trying to keep a carseat covered with a blanket without it falling off (or being pulled off by a nosey bystander). Annoying. This looked like a better idea since it attaches to the carseat handle and the sides can be completely closed in. It'll be perfect for when baby is sleeping or when we're out in bad weather.

Here's the website where I downloaded the pattern. The one shown is made from fleece but I chose to make mine from a double layer of flannel instead. The pattern is free, although it's pretty large so the pieces have to be cut out and then tiled/taped together. The flannel I used for the lining wasn't quite wide enough, so I had to sew a couple strips onto the sides so the pattern would fit.




For the outside I found white flannel with pink and brown dots. I used plain brown on the inside and put pink piping cord around the edge. It probably would have looked better with light pink lining on the inside but I thought if baby was sleeping, a darker color may help block out the light more.


It was my first time sewing piping and I didn't know how hard it would be. But the pattern showed how to do it and it's super easy--thank goodness!  :)







Since I don't have our carseat available I had to guess somewhat on where the straps should go. Once they were sewed on I asked my neighbor if I could come over and try it on their baby's seat. It fit perfectly! The 'finishing touch' I mentioned earlier is adding velcro or snaps to the sides below the handle so it can be closed more securely. But I'll wait on that so I can fit it to our own carseat.




I wish we had one of these when Parker was born! He was a Fall baby and we hated having to carry him around in the rain. At least his little sister will stay dry.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment