Saturday, June 22, 2013

Toddler Apron

We went to a birthday party today for one of Parker's friends. It was outside at a park and it was a beautiful day in San Francisco. Although we were right next to a playground, Parker was more excited to chase the pigeons and just run--the entire length of the park. I need to get that boy outside more often! He finally did try out the play area, and spent quite a while digging in the sand with Uncle Bryan. In fact, Parker was having so much fun digging that he turned down his cupcake! He must have had a very important project going on.   :)

Anyway, it was the perfect day for K's party and I'm glad we could make it out. She is the most adorable little girl!

K's parents got her a toy kitchen for Christmas. The next time we saw her she told me all about the things she 'baked' in her kitchen--cakes, cupcakes, etc. She sounded like quite the baker! I suddenly had an idea for a birthday gift... an apron! A girl needs to stay clean (and look cute) while cooking, right?

I looked online for an apron pattern for a toddler but didn't find anything in her size--she's tiny! Everything I saw was for either an adult or an older child. Finally I came across this pattern. Still too big, but I liked the simple style so I printed it out. And I still had plenty of the cherry fabric left over from Elise's huge future summer dress, so I pulled that out. I bought some red and white polka dot fabric to put with it (or POKER dots, as Parker calls them).

Parker is close to K in height so I measured from his chest down to his knees to get an idea of how long to make the apron. Then I tweaked the pattern a bit until it looked small enough. I wanted to add a pocket or her name somehow but couldn't decide on what to do so I left it off. Maybe her mom can embellish it later if it's too plain.  :)  Cutting it out/sizing it took a little while but once that was done it didn't take long to sew. I made the matching chef hat to go with it. Here it is!


I heard recently that K is getting tired of her play kitchen already, but that she likes to help her mom in the big kitchen. Yay--maybe she can use this when making real food. To make it more fun I also got her her very own cookbook--easy recipes meant for preschoolers.





It's a pretty cute set. I think Elise may get one for Christmas next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment