Sunday, June 16, 2013

Gifts for Daddy

It's Father's Day! I'm looking forward to calling my Dad on skype later to say hi and let him see the kids! Would love for them to come visit again but I know it's a long way for them to travel. Thankfully they got a webcam recently so now we can use Skype and Parker doesn't forget who they are between visits. And Parker enjoys being able to show them his little art projects and toys. Some of our calls have been pretty entertaining.  :)

And I'm so thankful for Kyle and for what a wonderful father he's been to our own kids! He shows his love for us every day in so many ways--we're so blessed! I wanted to get something special for him so I had some pictures taken of the kids and used one of them to make a big canvas he could hang. Isn't this the cutest picture ever??  It totally shows their personalities.  :)



We also got him a leather catchall tray. When Kyle comes home he sets down his wallet and keys in random places and then the next morning he walks through the house asking where his wallet and keys are.  :)  So assuming he keeps the tray in the same place, he shouldn't lose his wallet and keys anymore.  


And finally, we gave him Parker's gift. I thought it would be cute for Parker to make his Dad something this year. I kept seeing recipes for clay that you use for impressions and bake and thought I'd try that with Parker. Every father needs a big clay paperweight, right?  :)
The one I made only used three ingredients so it was really quick. I divided the dough in half and helped Parker press his hand into one of the circles. I tried to make one with Elise, but she wouldn't open her little hand. She just kept pulling her fingers into a fist. 
We put Parker's print in the oven and let it bake for a few hours to harden and dry. It worked really well!

It looked fine as it was, but Parker loves to paint so why not have some fun with it...? 
I let him pick out the colors and handed him a paint brush. Here is what my little artist did (Mommy only helped with the green hand outline).
We set it outside until the paint dried and then put it away to keep for Father's Day. I told him it was our 'secret' and he couldn't tell Daddy yet and he giggled like keeping a secret was the best thing in the world. 

I pulled it out this morning and handed it to him, telling him to go give it to Daddy. He proudly handed it to Kyle, saying that HE painted it. I tried to get a picture of Parker holding it but he was so excited he would barely sit still.



Not exactly sure what Kyle will do with it...maybe we'll put it away for Parker to look at when he's older. Homemade gifts from your kids are the best.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment