Friday, September 14, 2012

Fun with Foam

I was looking for some new ideas for toddler activities and I came across one that I was sure Parker would enjoy--pushing golf tees into a styrofoam block!  :) I found the idea on Pinterest (of course!) and thought I'd try it, since it only took two supplies. I was at Michael's last week and picked up a small block of styrofoam, about the size of a brick. I was pretty sure we had some tees at home with our golf bags.

When I went out to get the tees later they seemed a little sharp and I started re-thinking the idea...I didn't want Parker to hurt himself trying to push them in. But as I set them back down I noticed a small bag of golf ball markers. They're also made to stick into the ground, but the tips are plastic and rounded so there'd be no danger of him poking his little fingers.

I set the block on the table with the bright colored markers and Parker immediately became curious. I set him in his chair and showed him how to push the markers into the foam. His eyes lit up and he couldn't wait to try. He loved it!!



The markers were small so I stayed with him while he was playing just to make sure he didn't put them (or his little foam-covered fingers) in his mouth. He put the markers in and then pulled them out over and over. And over. He didn't want to stop! He played with it for almost 45 minutes straight before he put it down, and even then it was more because I was wanting to stop.


The only problem with foam is that it makes a mess. Even with the plastic wrap on the foam, it still left 'crumbs' everywhere so when he was finally done playing I threw it away. I think next time I'll let him push the markers into a lump of playdough and see how that works instead.
I love finding new things for him to try! It's fun to sit and watch him concentrating so hard on something.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment