Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rocky Road Bars

We were invited to a friend's home for dinner yesterday and, although they said we didn't have to bring anything, I still wanted to take a little something as a thank-you. So I got out my dessert recipe book and was about to make a batch of cookies. Only one problem.... I had no brown sugar. Okay, I could just make another kind instead. But I looked through several other recipes and I was missing an ingredient for everything I wanted to make! Arrghh!
I put my book away and looked in the pantry to see what I DID have....aside from the usual flour, sugar, baking soda, etc., I had some graham crackers, lots of marshmallows, peanut butter and a few chocolate chips. Rocky road bars! My parents used to make them for us as kids. They were thick chocolate squares with little colored marshmallows. I don't have a recipe for it and I was a little short on chocolate, so I made my own version:



Rocky Road Bars

3 graham crackers
1 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 cups mini marshmallows


Break the crackers apart and line the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan. Set aside. Crush the remaining crackers into coarse crumbs.
Melt the butter in a small pot, then add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Mix in peanut butter until smooth. Stir in marshmallows until coated, then spread over the wafers in the loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and chill until firm. Cut into 8-10 squares.


These weren't as thick and chocolately as the ones I remember having, but using the ingredients I had, they turned out pretty good--definitely sweet enough to satisfy a chocolate craving! And I think I liked them better with a little peanut butter mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment