Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cribs Are Not For Eating

But they probably taste good, right? I mean, they must because Parker has started gnawing on his lately. Or maybe he just feels that I'm not feeding him enough fiber...? :) Not sure why he chews on it, but I'm not liking the little teeth marks he leaves behind. His crib will later be converted into a full size bed, so I (and future-Parker) would prefer that the footboard not be chewed up. Thankfully most of these marks are on the sides and not the front footboard piece.


I went online and started looking up covers for crib rails and I found several, the cheapest of which was $33. It was a soft, brown minky fabric and tied around the top rails. Looked pretty simple, and I was hoping making one would cost less than buying one so I decided to try!

First I had to measure the crib--the inside of the rails on the front and side. Once I figured out the lengths I needed, I packed up Parker and my Joann's flyer and headed out to find fabric. I liked the look of the brown minky one, so I bought that for the outside layer, I got a bag of quilt batting for the inside and plain brown flannel for the bottom. When I took it up to pay, guess what the total was? $33. Doh...and that was after a coupon and sale discounts. Well, on the bright side, I could make and use it right away instead of ordering it and having to wait a week or two to have it delivered. And hey, it's fun to say you tried making something new, right?? :)

I tossed the fabric in the laundry as soon as I got home. I don't use any new fabric until it's been washed and dried to get any shrinkage out.

It was dry and ready to use after dinner, so I pulled out my mat and rotary cutter and got to work. I had written out measurements for all the pieces I needed from each fabric and once I had them cut, I put it aside for the night.
The next morning I started by sewing the ties and got them all turned right-side-out. Parker helped by carrying them around the room while I worked. I decided to wait and do the rest of the sewing after dinner...Parker would be asleep and Kyle would be out at a meeting.
I started with the long front cover first, as that's the rail I'm most concerned with protecting. I laid out the layers of batting, flannel and minky, then started pinning the ties in place. Halfway done, I was a little disappointed, although not surprised, to see that my non-mathematical mind had written down the wrong number of ties needed. *Sigh.* I knew I needed six ties on the front, but I didn't take into account that that meant six on the front and six on the back--so they could actually TIE. :) I had plenty of ties for the front cover, but would need to make more before I could make the side covers.

Anyway, back to my sewing... Here's the long piece pinned and ready to sew.

Yes, I may have gone a little overboard with pins but I noticed that when I sewed the ties it tends to shift or move a little bit so I just pinned these pieces--a lot! I sewed around it, leaving a small hole on one end. After I clipped the corners off,

I turned it right-side-out and stiched the open end closed.

Done!

I had to wait until the following morning to put it on, because Parker was already in bed for the night. But I was happy to see that it fit perfectly! Looks just like the one I saw online. Wish I could say it was a whole lot cheaper, but.... :)



I'm planning to make the side pieces in the next few days as well. Hopefully these will protect the rails from Parker's little teeth when he gets those midnight cravings!

No comments:

Post a Comment