Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Elise's Book

I mentioned earlier that I was making Elise a quiet book for her birthday. And I'm happy to say that I finally finished it! Ok, I guess I should say I'm almost finished it. The only thing left is putting in the eyelets so the pages can be put on rings. But I'm having Kyle help with that and he's not free until the weekend. So I'm done everything else. And I'm SO happy it's finished. I really wanted to make her one but it's a big project. Hers took longer than Parker's partly because I now have two little people needing attention rather than one, and also because I didn't have patterns for most of the pages. I had to draw them myself. I like how it turned out, though!

Rather than the bright yellow bumble bee cotton I had picked out for the inside of the cover, I changed my mind and used a light pink butterfly print instead. But it had yellow butterflies on it so I kept the pale yellow fabric for the pages. Pink would have been better but the thought of going back to Joann's and buying several more yards of fabric, washing/drying it, pressing it, cutting out eight more pages and ironing them all onto interfacing made me tired. Hence the reason I went with yellow pages. :)

Before I show pictures, I should ask you to disregard the sloppy writing. It's the only part of the book I'm disappointed with. When making Parker's book I wrote out the words in a water-soluble marker to make sure the size and spacing were right, then traced over it (or beside it) with a permanent marker. Sadly, the water-soluble blue ink did not wipe off completely so most of the pages in his book have faint blue letters under the words. I didn't want to make the same mistake with hers, so I used only the permanent marker and made it as straight as possible. Not great.  :(

Anyway, here are the pictures of her book:











The last page is a mini flannel board with felt shapes. For some reason I couldn't come up with anything else to put on that page. The flannel board might work out well, though... if Elise gets tired of making pictures of ice cream cones or hearts, it will only take a few minutes to cut out and fill the pocket with completely different shapes.

So that's the big project I've been working on! I wish I could have done a better job writing in it but I'm not about to start over because of a few crooked words. Thankfully I doubt think Elise is going to notice. She'll have fun playing with it.
And that's all that matters.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment