Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Heat Pack

I made a heat pack last week. Not overly exciting, I know, but it's something I've been needing.

When my knee is aching or I have nursing issues the only heat pack we have is a huge one Kyle got that's meant to wrap around his neck and shoulders. Not great for a small area. So I made one. And it's prettier than Kyle's, too.  :)


 The best part is that it only took two supplies--a small bag of rice and a scrap piece of flannel.






I didn't have a specific size in mind... I ended up cutting out two pieces of flannel 12 x 7 inches.





I sewed around three sides, leaving one short end open. I trimmed the corners to prevent too much bulk, then turned it right-side-out and top stitched close to the edge to give the seams a little extra reinforcement.

If I poured all the rice in at once, it would fall to one side like a beanbag. Instead, I made the heat pack with sections. 

I marked and drew lines every 2.25 inches down the length of the pack. I poured 1/4 cup of rice into the bottom of the bag, then stuck a few pins across to hold the rice back while I sewed over the line.

I poured in another 1/4 cup of rice and repeated until the last section was filled. To close the last section I folded in the end of the bag 1/2 inch and top stitched across.


Done!
Isn't it cute? So glad I now have a normal size heat pack for the next time I hurt.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment