Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cookies!

Looking for simple entertainment? Bake with a toddler! :)

I couldn't decide what to do with Parker last week so I let him get his little hands into some cookie dough! I mixed up a batch of sugar cookie dough one morning and put it in the fridge for a while to chill.

After lunch I pulled it out, along with a rolling pin and a few cookie cutters. I kept them simple, using shapes he would recognize--circle, square, star and heart.

He was so excited to help!

I rolled out a piece of dough on a cutting board and set it in front of him. He needed a bit of help pushing the cutters all the way through, but after making a couple shapes I let him try it on his own.










He was somewhat distraught when I pulled out the first couple cookies, but once I explained that I had to put them on a tray and bake them he went back to work.

His toddler technique was great to watch! Each time I gave him a freshly rolled piece of dough he would cut the first cookie from the middle. Then he would work his way out, either cutting around or overlapping that first one. When I pulled up the cookies to put on the baking pan I was finding some unusual shapes!




At one point I was busy cutting out some cookies and checking the ones in the oven so I wasn't paying much attention to what he was doing. When I looked over, I saw that I hadn't been quick enough at taking out the ones he had cut. So he just kept cutting...and cutting...and cutting!

This poor piece of dough was shredded! I don't know how many times I re-rolled it for him, but I'm pretty sure the cookies turned out a little more, um....chewy than usual.  :)



After they were baked I let him try one and asked him to take one to Daddy. He proudly handed one to Kyle and told him that "Parker made it!"

We had plans to go out that night so the decorating waited until the next afternoon. I mixed up a bowl of icing and got out a couple plastic knives and two kinds of sprinkles--big chunky sprinkles that he could pick up easily. I started icing a few cookies to show him how. The first thing Parker did was pick up a plain star cookie and inform me, while taking a bite, that he needed to eat that one.

I guess he wanted to try one to make sure they were still okay...?

When he finished eating, we were finally ready to start decorating. He put a little glob of icing on a cookie...



then got distracted by the colorful sprinkles and decided to play with them for a while.


I kept asking him to help me decorate the cookies, so he finally picked up his knife again and put another, bigger glob of icing on his cookie. Then he began decorating it, one sprinkle at a time. Yes, we were there for quite a while...


Here is the one he made all by himself!


 Although they took a little longer to make this time, I have to say.... these turned out to be the cutest cookies ever!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment