Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It's a....!!

Today I had a fun project to make--a 'secret' cake! Let me explain...
My sister-in-law, Jessica, has a friend who is expecting her first child. Today that friend had an ultrasound to find out the gender. But she likes surprises so much that she wanted to wait and find out tonight, with the rest of her family, what they're having. So she had the doctor put the results in a sealed envelope and then gave it to Jessica to bring to me.
My part was to make a cake! I would make a large, round layer cake and the icing between the layers would be either pink or blue, depending on the ultrasound results. Then when they cut into the cake, the icing color would show what they were having! Pretty cool idea, right? :)

So Jessica came over this morning with our adorable little nephew to give me the envelope, then she hung out with the boys while I made the cake. Once I had the colored icing in place and hidden from Jessica, she came out and helped me figure out how to decorate the top. we decided to ice it white, put some pink and blue flowers on top, and write the letter E in the center (regardless of the gender, the baby's name will begin with the letter E). Made some little white flowers around the bottom, and it was done! And I was the only person, aside from the doctor, of course, who knew what she was having! I told Jessica that even though I didn't know her friend, it was fun being in on such a big secret! :) I'm excited for them to cut into it later.

I had told Kyle that I was making a cake today and explained what it was for and he thought it was a cool idea. What was funny, though, is that he came home from work today and right away he asked what they were having! He doesn't know them either, but since it was a secret, he had been thinking about it earlier and started wondering what they were having. I told him but swore him to secrecy! :)

It was a fun afternoon! Got to hang out with Jessica and Tristan, and to do something special for a friend!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention what her friend was having! The icing in the middle was......

Yay for boys!! :)

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! Now you need to post a picture of the cake. :) And yes, yay for boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason there's no picture here is that I forgot to take one! :) I thought about it when I was decorating it, but then I forgot...until she had driven away with it!

    ReplyDelete