Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cake Pops

Okay, so technically they're cake balls since I didn't put them on sticks.... :) Whatever you want to call them, they were my newest baking adventure.

I had a lot of chocolate cake scraps left over after making a wedding cake recently so I froze it, thinking maybe I'd use it in a trifle later. The trifle never happened. But I have been wanting to try making cake pops for a while, so I had a pre-made cake AND cleared some space in my freezer! Yay!

Kyle got me a book for Christmas called 'Cake Pops' by Bakerella. She makes all kinds of super cute cake pops--animals, robots, mini ice cream cones, faces, etc. Unfortunately, I didn't have any sprinkes or candy on hand to decorate mine, so they were pretty plain. Still, pretty easy to make. Here are the basic steps...

First, the cake has to be thoroughly crumbled.



Next, stir in about 3/4 of a container of icing and stir until it's completely mixed in.



Shape cake into balls! I used a scoop so they were evenly sized. The recipe said it would make about 48, but I made them a little smaller and got about 65.


Put cake pops into the fridge for a few hours until they're firm.


Here's the fun part--dipping them in chocolate! A stick could be added to them now, to make them into pops, or just dip them, like I did, and leave them as they are.


I put them on waxed paper to dry, which didn't take very long. This is where sprinkles/candies are added if they're being decorated.


Well, not nearly as pretty as the ones Bakerella made in her book! They're easy to make though...I'll try them again later for a birthday party or holiday and spend more time on how they look. The best part is that any combination of cake and icing flavors can be used! Unfortunately, Kyle and I don't eat cake so now I have to give away a lot of cake pops! Thankfully our neighbors like sweets! :)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Those look so yummy, Serene! Wish I was your neighbor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your neighbors like sweets too much and now they know how to make their own cake pops :)

    ReplyDelete