Monday, September 23, 2013

Cookies

I set Elise's quiet book aside last week to make a few other little projects--97 to be exact!
96 of them were cookies.
:)



A friend was planning a bridal shower and asked if I'd be interested in taking an order for decorated cookies. I said sure, not really knowing what she wanted. We looked at a few different designs and finally decided to do her original idea of using an edible wafer paper graphic on the cookies, something I've never tried before. The wafer paper looked like a regular sheet of paper (made of potato starch, so a little different texture) that had to be cut into the individual 'Mr.' and 'Mrs.' prints.



I love that we made the cookies square! Much more fun than your typical round sugar cookie, right?!



First the cookies were outlined and covered in royal icing.



Once dry, I brushed the back of the wafer paper with corn syrup and stuck the words onto the cookies.



Added edible glitter, a few black swirls on top and some pearl sprinkles and they were done! Aren't they cute?



This is how they were packaged later to put on the tables. I heard they were a hit at the shower--so happy everyone liked them!

And I've decided that wafer paper is not my favorite thing to work with. Although I'm all for making big sticky messes every so often, corn syrup is not the easiest thing to just "brush onto" a piece of paper. But that's okay... when it comes to baking / decorating I like trying new things.  :)



And the other project I made last weekend was this!

It had been a few months since I've been to a sewing class so I signed up to make this cute little bucket. I was planning to make a small one, just big enough to hold Elise's hair bows. I'm not really loving the ziploc bag they're in at the moment. But when I got to the class, the teacher AND another worker there informed me that they prefer we make a bigger size, as the smaller one is hard to maneuver around. Umm...okay. Would have been useful information BEFORE I got to the class. I think it was just a scheme to make us buy more supplies, since the fabric I was going to use was not big enough for the new pattern. :)
So I quickly found and bought some fabric, then had to spend the first hour of class time cutting out the new pieces. The sample one had cute little handles on the sides, but because I was already short on time I skipped that part and just made the basic bucket. Maybe I'll add some handles on later. Or maybe not.

I don't actually know what I'll use it for. It's way too big for hair bows, obviously. At the rate she's growing hair it would take years to fill it. Maybe it'll work for her hats? Or shoes? I'm not really sure what one does with a large fabric bucket.

And that was my weekend. I think that's the most productive I've been in a long time! But I'm glad it's over for now and I can get back to Elise's birthday gift. Hopefully I'll have pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment