Friday, April 26, 2013

Maxi Skirts

Well, we're still here. We didn't end up moving to Texas after all! We had planned to go and were starting to pack and say our goodbyes but, after Kyle went out there for a couple days, we decided that it just didn't seem like the right fit for us. So we turned it down and opted to stay here in California instead. Have to say I'm a little happy about that, especially this week... we had a few days in the high 80's and I wasn't liking it much. And from what I hear, it gets a lot hotter than that in Texas. So... yeah I have no complaints about staying. The palm trees and mild climate kind of grow on you after a while.  :)

In between all the unpacking/cleaning and putting our house back in order I took a little time to make a couple summer skirts. I'm not a fan of waistbands and zippers so I was excited to find a pattern on etsy for a maxi skirt that has a fold over yoga-type waistband.

Although I have never sewn with knit fabric, one of my sewing classes last Fall briefly covered what stitches and needles to use, so this would be a fun experiment. After downloading the pattern I wanted to get started right away but Joann's didn't have much to choose from.  I looked online and ordered two pieces of jersey knit at fabric.com--they have some nice fabric and their prices are pretty decent.



The first skirt is pale pink with white embroidered flowers. This one was really lightweight but will be perfect for hot weather.


The second is a black, grey and pink stripe.




The pattern I used is the easiest ever! She suggested marking the lines right onto the fabric. However, as we had an abundance of packing paper around, I chose to draw and cut out an actual pattern that I could pin on and then use again later--seemed like that would save a little time for the second one. Putting it together was just sewing a few straight lines and it was done!

Love these skirts! They're super comfortable. And because I don't exactly tan, long skirts are great for covering very white legs.  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment