Monday, December 31, 2012

Chenille Scarf

Finally back to sewing! I cancelled my November sewing class because I wasn't feeling up to it. Good thing I did, because that night was when we checked into the hospital to have a baby.  :)

I wanted to go back in December, and my friend had missed the night she signed up for, so we were able to go together on the 18th. It was great to have a night out again! The project for this month was a faux chenille scarf. I had no idea what it was or what it would look like until the night of class. When I saw the pattern I didn't love the look of it, but thought it would still be a good idea to learn a new sewing technique so I headed over to the rack of fabric.


 We were told to get two yards of yarn-dyed flannel. Unlike regular flannel, yarn-dyed is the same look and feel on both the front and back. I picked out a light blue with dark blue and beige plaid.

The instructor told us what to do and we started cutting...come to think of it, I didn't even use the pattern I bought! That's okay, I guess I'll have it for future reference if I want to make another scarf later on. Anyway, this project couldn't have been easier. We layered strips a certain way, then sewed down the length of them back and forth until we reached the edges. Then we used a fun little tool to cut the flannel between the seams. After the scarf was washed and dried, it was soft and frayed on both sides to give it the faux chenille look. Some people cut the seams at the end to give it tassels. I couldn't decide if I wanted them, so I left mine solid. Here's the finished scarf....


It turned out to be a pretty cool project! I was going to make a few for gifts, but it was too close to Christmas and I didn't get time. I'm glad I learned how to make them, though.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment