Friday, May 4, 2012

Toddler Toys--Wipes Case

Has your little one ever gotten hold of the wipes?  Then you know what a mistake it was for me to ask Parker to hold the wipes package for a minute...  :)

A few months ago we were in a store and I handed it to him to keep him busy. I was hoping he would just enjoy the crinkling of the package. Um, no. When I checked on him a minute later, he was surrounded by wet, sweet-smelling wipes and was happily pulling out even more!


With all the toddler toy ideas I've found, I came across one where you pull scarves or fabric squares out of a wipes case. Great idea!! I usually buy wipes in a plastic package because the cases are big and bulky. But I had gotten a free sample of cottonelle wipes and they came in a nice little compact-size pop-up container. It's the perfect size for Parker to hold and the hole in the top is a flexible rubber strip so it's also easy to get his little hands inside.


I wasn't sure what to use for fabric... I tried cotton, but it bunched up and the thickness made it hard to pull through. Then I remembered I had some thin, sheer fabric that was left over from our wedding so I got that out. It was soft and really easy to pull through the hole.


Since the squares were just going to be pulled out of a box, I wasn't worried about making them look pretty. I cut out five square-ish shapes and crammed them into the little container. I showed Parker how to pull on the first piece and he quickly yanked it out and reached in for the other ones. How fun!  :)




But I wasn't actually finished. Turns out that the fabric I used frays terribly so after Parker pulled the pieces out a couple times he and the floor were covered in little silver threads. So I needed to hem the edges. Again, I didn't measure anything. I just folded them under twice and sewed a wide, quick hem on all the raw edges.


It only took a few minutes but, as you can see, Parker was a little anxious to have them back to play with!



1 comment:

  1. Yet another great idea, Serene! I may be trying this one soon!

    ReplyDelete