Thursday, March 8, 2012

Toddler Toys - Velcro

The first toddler toy I made Parker was a hit, so I thought I'd try another one! Most of these ideas are from Pinterest but I mainly just look at the pictures and then make up my own version. The toy for today is velcro sticks! Because what kid doesn't love to tear velcro apart?! Velcro is still fun for for me and I'm, well...let's just say I'm a lot older than Parker! :)
I found a package of jumbo craft sticks (like popsicle sticks, but bigger) at Target for $2. I had to go to Joann's for the velcro. I bought the kind that has a sticky back so they're easy to put on, but the downside is that they're a little pricey--$3.80 for 30 round dots. And you need four per craft stick, so I only had enough for 7. I was thinking later that it would probably have been cheaper and worked just as well to buy a strip of velcro, cut it into squares and glue them on the sticks.
BUT I already had the dots. So the only work involved for me was peeling off the velcro dots and placing them on the ends of the sticks (on both sides!). Can't get any easier than that! :) Since I only used a few of the craft sticks, I may pick up more velcro later and make a few more. But for now these would be enough to see if Parker liked them.

I waited until after dinner before getting them out. I needed a few minutes to put food away and wash dishes, so I pulled these out and set them on his tray. I showed him that the ends stuck to each other and he grabbed a couple and began putting them together. Well, I finished cleaning and doing dishes and he was still so intent on his building that I sat down and was able to sew for about 20 minutes before he started squirming to get down. Love that it kept his attention so long! I don't know if it shows in the picture, but he was focusing so intently that his tongue was out most of the time. :)

1 comment:

  1. I just made these for Fredrick, and he loves them too! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete